Smashed potatoes with bacon and chorizo
If there is a quick and simple dish that is ideal for the very cold season, it has to be mashed potatoes. They are very typical in Castilla y Leon and the northern part of Cáceres.
Ingredients & Quantities:
- Peel, halve and boil your potatoes in enough salted water to cover them, and cook until tender. This should take around 15 minutes – save the water.
- In another pan, while the potatoes are cooking, fry the chorizo and bacon until crisp. Finally drain of the fat and plate up the meat.
- In the same pan (no need to clean so it keeps the flavour)…toast the mashed garlic in the olive oil and add the paprika, then stir and cook for 2 minutes. Remove everything from the heat.
- Mash the potatoes together with 200ml of the starchy water. When the mash is relatively smooth, stir in the paprika, garlic and oil mixture and season to taste.
- Add the bacon and chorizo and serve warm in a big bowl. It’s delicious alone, or as part of a larger meal.
400 g potatoes
2 slices of bacon
3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon paprika (sweet, hot or mixed)
2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil