Churros - Spanish Doughnuts
Spanish Doughnuts, or Churros, are a classic Spanish breakfast treat, but make a delicious snack at any time of day.
Ingredients & Quantities:120 gr butter150 gr plain flour3 eggsExtra virgin olive oil (for frying)80 gr sugar 20 gr ground cinnamon1 pinch salt
- Put 250 millilitre water and the butter in a heavy-based pan over medium-high heat and bring to the boil.
- When the water is about to boil, add the flour and a pinch of salt, mix with a wooden spoon till the dough is completely mixed. Leave the dough to cool for a short while.
- Then beat the eggs and add them to the dough, beat until mixed properly. Put the mixture into a churro-maker or a piping bag which has a large fluted nozzle.
- Clean the already used heavy-based pan, and heat up 5-6 cm oil in it until very hot (around 180-200°C). To test temperature of the oil, drop it in a small cube of bread, if it sizzles and turns brown within 12-16 seconds it is ready.
- Lower the heat, then pipe 3 or 4 of 10-cm loops or strips directly into oil. Fry approximately for a minute, turning once, till the strips have a golden colour.
- Get the churros from oil by using a slotted spoon and drain on some kitchen paper. While the churros are still warm, dust them with sugar and cinnamon.
- Serve with our thick chocolate sauce.